Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Please, don't drive

Last night, 4 of my son's friends were in a terrible car accident. Ben, who was driving, had been drinking. He swerved to miss a large rock in the road and lost control of the truck. Two died at the scene, Ben, and another boy that I hadn't met (only 16 years old and signing with a skateboard promoter)
Ben's been my son's friend for a long time, since 6th grade. He was part of our family. I'm torn between being so very sad that at 20 (he just had his birthday a few weeks ago), his life is now ended, and that his young son, 1 year old, will never know his Father, to being angry that they were even drinking in the first place, and then got in a car/truck.
My son, is a mess, it's been a very difficult night. As a Mom, I'm so thankful that he wasn't with them, (as selfish as that seems.)
The other two boys, Denny and Cory are doing OK. I'm thankful they are alright. I know it's said all the time, but, don't drink and drive. Life is so very short, and precious. Please, let your friends, family, everyone you love, KNOW that they are loved.
BIG HUGS, Steph

3 comments:

Molecular Turtle said...

That's such a sad story. My thoughts are with you

Anonymous said...

I just went through something similar, although with my brother in law and his friends. My kiddos are young yet. I am so saddened to hear this. Every time I hear a story like this, I get really, really pissed off. It's not fair. Perhaps your son will be affected enough to never EVER do the same. A small, horrific blessing in disguise for you.

junquedujour said...

ahhh geeez Steph - what a terrible waste of such a young life, and like you said, so terribly sad for the young son.